ABOUT ME | STUDIO TOUR | TUTORIALS | INSPIRATION | SHOP

Monday, January 17, 2011

Glitter Felt & Little Stitches

Hi! My name is Cindy and this is my blog. I called it "Glitter Felt & Little Stitches" because those are two of my favorite things. My other favorite things include my husband, my daughter Emmabelle, my little chihuahua Switch, IKEA, the Spice Girls, houndstooth prints, anything turquoise, photography, thrifting, hoarding fabric, cupcakes, wearing colorful socks with my ballet flats, organizing things in rainbow spectrums, Christmas ornaments, the dollar spot at Target, the smell of clean laundry... am I getting carried away here? I swear all of those things are some of my most favorite things but if I named my blog after them you wouldn't remember the address so you could visit again. So I just stuck to Glitter Felt & Little Stitches. :)


working on some tooth pillows :)


I've tried blogging before but I was pretty terrible at it. I forgot to update and when I did I was too self conscious about what I wrote. Was I too wordy? Did I not write enough? Does anybody care? Did I put enough pictures?... yuck! That is no way to blog! Let's try again.

I started my business in 2007 shortly after I married my best friend. We had no ornaments for our tree that Christmas so I made some. He encouraged me to try to sell some after we stumbled across this little website called Etsy. I called it The Cupcakery because I sold little felt cupcake ornaments, complete with hot glued button sprinkles and puffy paint smiley faces (oh my!)... and people bought them! and I've been selling things ever since. I don't sell those hot glued neon button puffy paint cupcakes anymore but I kept the name. So much has changed since those days and it's nice to remember where you came from. :)


some of my first ornaments... don't hold it against me! ;)


My full time job is staying at home and raising my daughter Emmabelle. She is my entire heart. I am smitten with her. While being a stay at home mom is my dream job, it's tough on my heart. I don't get to get out into the real world and connect with people and make friends. I don't get to dress up fancy every day and wear fun jewelry (she pulls necklaces right off my neck!). and I don't have super powers to keep my house clean every day. My patient husband listens to my ramblings when he gets home from work and he helps me with housework but at the end of the day often I feel like I've done so much but have accomplished very little. This is why it's important for me to make things. My heart is bursting at the seams with ideas at any given time. For years I felt very silly about the things I like to create, but it's important work to me and now I take it seriously.

I want to inspire Emma. I want her to wholeheartedly pursue her passions and dreams. I want her to know that with hard work you can accomplish many many things! Please don't think I'm tooting my own horn here ;) I just never thought in a million years that someone would want to buy a silly little something that I made, especially when for so long I felt so uncool. I'm no corporation here, just a Momma who makes things during naptime. I'm proud of my little business and what I've accomplished by sewing things that I've designed with my two hands. My ornaments hang on Christmas trees all around the world. Lots of girls wear rings, charm bracelets, necklaces and hairbows that I've made. Countless "Cupcakery" creations have been given as gifts and I love knowing that. I hope that my husband and I are blessed with more children, and one day when they're not babies anymore I'd like to open up a shop here in Richmond, VA. I joke around (secretly hoping) that Emma will be my "shop girl" one day and that we can make pretty things and set up a pretty boutique and work together. For now, it's just crafting during naptime, with Glitter Felt & Little Stitches.


I tried so hard to work this into my layout & it just didn't work out at all... sigh! Atleast it's a pretty picture!


I read a lot of blogs, and I'm constantly inspired by the creativity of others. I hope I can inspire someone with the things I have to say, photos I have to show , and ideas I have to share! I don't want to make money off of this blog. I don't want to beg you to buy things that I make. I want to document my art, make some friends online so the days are a little less lonely (I can't be the only secluded crafty mom!), and inspire.

Whew! I hope that wasn't too wordy for you! ;) Welcome to my blog! <3

1 comment: